Thai & Tiger to form new low-cost airline
Another airline will soon jump into the Asian budget flight market, with Thai Airways and Singapore’s Tiger Airways teaming up to form a new low cost service. The new airline, Thai Tiger Airways, will begin flying out of Bangkok’s Suvarnabhumi International Airport in Q1 2011. Thai Airways and another Thai entity will hold a 51% share, while the remaining 49% will belong to Tiger.
The move is yet another sign that both the Asian airline and travel industries are set for a tumultuous time as passenger numbers increase and more companies compete for their business. Analysts at the Centre for Asia Pacific Aviation (CAPA) say it could also lead to entry barriers falling in some countries where smaller airlines have traditionally been locked out.
Tiger Airways, based in Singapore and part-owned by national carrier Singapore Airlines, began flying in 2005 and is modeled on RyanAir, the successful European budget carrier. It flies to 37 destinations in 11 countries and also operates Tiger Airways Australia, a domestic airline.
source & article: Yahoo! Singapore
- World Bank Group to open office in Singapore
- Could Indonesia overtake Thailand as an auto manufacturer?
- Clark International Airport becoming an important Philippines hub
- Singapore tightens conditions for foreign workers
- Singapore may benefit from financial gloom: survey
- AirAsia in share swap with Malaysia Airlines?
- AirAsia, ANA join to form new budget airline in Japan
- Tune Hotels to take budget hotel model to Australia
- Infrastructure, construction boom in Southeast Asia: Reuters
- Temasek, Khazanah team up for Singapore-Malaysia developments